I provide expert witness services related to evidence produced from the Internet Archive Wayback Machine, other web archive repositories, and public websites. If you would like to learn more or discuss a possible engagement, please contact me.
The following activities reflect both the general scope of my expertise and the kinds of investigations that I have undertaken to date:
- Authenticate and interpret archived web content for evidentiary purposes
- Isolate and qualify when particular information or web content may have been published, updated, or available on the web
- Locate information or web content that may have been previously available on the web
- Reconstruct plausible historical user navigation paths through a website
- Explain the operation of web archiving services and its bearing on the contents of web archives
To highlight some of my relevant experience, I have:
- Provided expert analysis, declarations, and testimony for legal cases in national and international jurisdictions
- Had expert testimony accepted in a United States District Court, overcoming a challenge by opposing counsel
- Worked for nine years in world-class research libraries in roles focused primarily on web archiving, including as an analyst and lead
- Worked for over fifteen years in world-class research libraries and technology firms building, evaluating, managing, and leveraging websites and web-based information systems
- Delivered peer-reviewed presentations on web archiving in national and international fora, including specifically on the topic of legal use cases
- Served as program chair and, recurrently, a program committee member for the annual conference of the foremost international web archiving association
- Served regularly as a peer reviewer for web archiving-related submissions to digital library and digital preservation conferences and publications
- Installed and operated various types of web content capture and web archive replay software, including those used by the Internet Archive
- Participated in grant-funded projects related to web archives, both as a project participant and on advisory boards
- Been a quoted contributor in mainstream media outlets on the topic of web archives
Please see my resume for a more comprehensive elaboration of my experience.
I have participated as an expert witness in the following proceedings:
- Adaptive Spectrum and Signal Alignment Inc. v. Nokia Solutions and Networks Nederland B.V.
- Adaptive Spectrum and Signal Alignment Inc. v. Swisscom (Schweiz) AG et al.
- Jazz Pharmaceuticals Inc. v. Amneal Pharmaceuticals LLC et al.
- Khoday et al. v. Symantec Corporation et al.
This list may be incomplete, as pending cases have been omitted.
I am a current employee of Triad National Security, LLC (Triad), the contractor that manages and operates Los Alamos National Laboratory for the United States Department of Energy, National Nuclear Security Administration. However, any opinions expressed in my testimony are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of my past or present employers, the United States Department of Energy, or the National Nuclear Security Administration.